Monday, June 6, 2011

Rockin' Moroccan

Some people sing in the shower. I sing while I cook. When I was younger, my mom would belt it to John Denver and Carly Simon in the kitchen as she prepared dinner (actually she still does this--sorry mom!). Now I've carried on this dinnertime ritual in my own kitchen. Whilel John Denver does not frequent my playlists, Carly Simon's "You're So Vain" has made the cut a few times. Like mother, like daughter.

So while I crooned along with Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" as I prepared this Moroccan couscous, I thought this blog post would be the perfect chance to discuss my love for food and music, if not for the sole reason that I could use a rhyming title--Rockin' Moroccan ;)

My passion to perform began well before my taste buds started to develop--I used to sing and tap dance to the songs from "Annie", wearing her costume that my mom made me. My younger sister, Emma, always got stuck playing Molly--the other orphan without any solos and an ugly, raggedy dress. Seniority rules.

Someone was always singing or dancing around the house when we were growing up. Mom and her John Denver, me and Annie, Michael and the Sailor Moon soundtrack (sorry again!). So it was only natural that I wanted to be a Broadway star when I grew up.

Well college happened, reality happened, and clearly that dream has yet to come to fruition. But as I fell out of singing in college, I found food--good food. Being at NYU for a year opened my eyes (or mouth) to a whole world of tastes, smells and cultures; and my hunger to learn and try more only continues to grow now (pun intended).

Now a year out of college and still not sure what I want to do with my life, I do know that food and music will always be a part of it--whether that's singing alone in my apartment while stirring pasta, or someday having my own singing/dancing/cooking spectacular on the Food Network.

Rockin' Moroccan Couscous
Makes 3-4 servings

Ingredients:
3/4 lb cooked chicken breast, cut into pieces
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup dried couscous
3/4 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 dried cherries
3 tbs toasted pine nuts
2-3 scallions, white and some green parts, sliced

1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onion and sauté until slightly translucent, about 5-6 minutes.
2. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add couscous, curry, cinnamon, salt and dried cherries. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes. Uncover and flake with a fork to keep the couscous fluffy (do not stir--this will make the couscous stick together in lumps)
3. Add chicken, pine nuts and scallions. Stir to combine. Can be served hot or cold. Would be a great side dish for summer barbecues and parties!

2 comments:

  1. Actually that's a great idea - The Singing Chef! And you're just the person to do it with your beautiful voice, face & cooking talent! You could call it Cantando Cara or some other use of the italian word cantare (I love alliteration!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be such an interesting and unique show!

    ReplyDelete