Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Familar Food: Making Pizza

Pizza is a Friday night tradition at home. Even though the pizza selection in Westborough, MA is quite limited, I always looked forward to this ritual as the true beginning of the weekend. As I grew up and my palette matured, I started to realize that pizza in Westborough really is not good. At all. To keep up with our Friday ritual without sacrificing taste, I started to make pizzas for my family. The best part about this was that I could easily customize our pizzas to fit the varied (and limited) taste buds of everyone--peppers and mushrooms for me, broccoli and ricotta for mom, plain ol' cheese for Emma. Pizza Fridays made for a stress-free, yet tasty (and much better than Papa Gino's) kick-off to the weekend.

Now that I no longer live at home, Emma has taken on the role of pizza-master. While both delicious, we each have our signature pies (mine has a crispier crust; Emma's a little softer). But just because I live in Pizza Paradise, also known as New York City, doesn't mean I can't carry on the family tradition here.

Luckily, homemade pizza is a cheap and easy solution to cooking with friends. Everyone can chip in with favorite toppings, and everyone can take on a task: rolling out the dough, chopping the veggies, sprinkling the cheese. It's a fun and nostalgic way to get those friends in the kitchen who don't usually cook for themselves. So that's just what me and a few of my friends did this Monday night. Albeit, it wasn't a Friday night and it wasn't with my family, but sharing laughs and good food with friends made the next 4 days until Friday seem just a little less threatening.

Veggin' it up!

Teamwork

Classic cheese pizza with fresh tomatoes, red and yellow peppers, and mushrooms

Feta cheese and pesto pizza with sliced tomatoes and mushrooms--the favorite!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I hope I can someday become a pizza-master. Food with friends sounds fun (like Words with Friends). Delicious pizza

    ReplyDelete