Monday, September 26, 2011

Sweating for Soup

The weather in New York City just doesn't want to change. I still can't walk outside without getting an attractive little sweat stain on my back, and my electric bill continues to grow as I pump the AC.

Hello Fall, you were supposed to start on Friday. Where are you?!? Okay, fine. You're not ready to show yet, but I will do everything in my power to tempt you out. Starting with delicious food.

So on this lovely, muggy Sunday afternoon I decided it would be the perfect time to make a big, steaming pot of soup. Yes, I was literally sweating over my stove and had to air myself out every 5 minutes by standing in front of my AC, but the end result was totally worth the steam sauna.

I intended to make cauliflower parsnip soup - yet another recipe from my favorite blog Big Girls Small Kitchen - but when Trader Joe's didn't have parsnips, I decided to take my own spin on it and do a cauliflower carrot ginger soup. It was super simple and made my apartment smell so warm and slightly sweet from the carrots and ginger. And the best part is now I have a delicious, healthy lunch for the whole week, and it only took one pot, about 40 minutes, and lil-bit-a sweat.

Fine, Fall. Be stubborn. But even if you refuse to come, I can at least eat like you are here.

Cauliflower Carrot Ginger Soup
Makes 6-8 servings


2 tbs olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 head cauliflower, chopped
1 lb carrots, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
7-8 fresh thyme sprigs
8 cups vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, cover, and cook until translucent - about 8 minutes.
2. Add cauliflower, carrots, ginger, thyme, vegetable stock, salt and pepper. Stir and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Remove the thyme stems and season with salt and pepper if needed.
4. Purée the soup with an immersion blender or food processor, until mostly smooth but still somewhat chunky. Garnish with fresh thyme.

Soup simmering away...Me sweating away

This soup just looks like fall

2 comments:

  1. Once again, have to say, love your writing! And your food pics always look delicious & tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious. Everything is so colorful: this soup and the crostini. Yum

    ReplyDelete